Monastery Zigou - Fragkokastro

Monastery Zigou - Fragkokastro of Ouranoupoli Halkidiki

The ruins of the former monastery of Mount Athos Zigou (Fragokastro) located near the current Ouranoupolis, about forty meters away from the current border of Mount Athos. Agioritiko is an ancient monastery, which was founded in the mid-10th century. and was destroyed shortly before 1198. Saved all of the fortification wall, reinforced with ten towers, which surround area 5.5 acres.

The first known reference to “the Zigou” to the Athos peninsula, from document 942. It is rather a key benchmark in the region, without specifying whether it was a place without the monastery.

The 991 seems to have already established the monastery of balance, but the testimony is the first of only 996 and was dedicated to Prophet Elias.

During the 11th century the monastery was regarded as one of the most important monasteries, but in 1199 it was already deserted and given up, like shares, the emperor Alexios III Angelos in epanasystatheisa, then the single Chelandariou.

Around 1206 he moved to Castle Frank Zigou a ruler with the soldiers, who exormouse from there and ravaged the Holy Mountain, until in 1211, with the intervention of the Pope of Rome was expelled from the region.

Excavations showed that the monastery was built at a location where facilities existed from the 4th BC until the 6th AD century. The buildings consist of the old core, which doubled to expand eastward. The Cathedral located in the expansion began to be built in the early 11th century.

Originally built by the four-columned temple with the narrow narthex. He later added the north chapel to the grave owner, then added the exonarthex and the southern end of one room chapel troullaio the tomb owner.

The completion was the construction of three official graves in contact with the south wall of the church.

The walls of the temple are preserved to a height of 2 to 4 meters. The marble architectural parts, great works, what does not looted, were left crumbling. The four pillars, which held the dome, absent unlike the marble skirt the northern bivalve opening of the nave, which is maintained in position, almost full.

The prosthesis retained segments of the large representation of the Annunciation and the south chapel scene with rigid hierarch, probably of St. Nicholas.

The floors of the Catholic and the north chapel adorned with marble that have survived in good condition, more projects of the 11th century.

From the excavation mikroefrimata, features are the three molyvdovoula the 11th century., Slide books, a silver gilt medal engraved with a depiction of Agia Paraskevi μία mikrotati handbook stamp depicting Archangel, entoichio pieces of glass mosaic, bronze needles and thimbles, knives , coins, 11th and 12th century., glazed ceramic and glass vases from the same period.